Cybersecurity In UK: Threats and Laws to Tackle with Issue
Cybersecurity has emerged as the priority for the lawmakers that is coupled with policy agenda pertinent to rapidly rising digitalization with rising access to the internet. As opined in Graham (2021) cybersecurity has been essential to the business as the cybercriminals are continuously looking for loopholes to hack the businesses and organizations to hamper the same. The provision of a good security system required for protection of IT system, it helps the company in adding importance to security. Organizations across the world of all sizes are hit by cyberattacks and are facing diverse kinds and quantity of vulnerabilities from the attacks. Even the companies have faced data breaching that also leads to lacking of reputation loss and data loss within the company. According to the opinion stated in StoryWorks (2020), companies across the world are proactively working hard to mitigate or prevent these cyberattacks. Cybersecurity controls are defined as the organizational processes for protecting the data and information from the dangerous vulnerabilities of the network with data hacks. Cybersecurity controls are utilized for protecting the vulnerabilities in the networking system and also helps in improving data hacks. As the system and technology will progress, the threats, attacks, as well as vulnerabilities of the technology and system, will also evolve, and the controls have been set for reducing overall exposure to the cyber threats.
As stated by Swinhoe (2020), in the UK, it is stated that nearly 88% of the UK companies have suffered major data breaches in 2020, abut 33% of the UL companies have sated that they have lost their loyal patrons after data breaching. The cybersecurity controlling factors are the people, technology and data those play an important role for protecting the sensitive and important data of the network. Cybersecurity techniques guards and monitors physical data and protects online data as well. The research aims to discuss about cybersecurity in the UK with discussion of the threats and laws for tackling the issues related to it.
Cyber Security Threats And Issues To The UK Companies
The cyber security threats and issues those are related to the UK companies are ransomware attacks, IoT attacks, outdated software and hardware, Phishing attacks, cloud attacks, crypto current and Blockchain attacks, Machine Learning with AI attacks, BYOD policies and Insider attacks. As opined by Upadhay (2020), ransomware attacks have been a popular one that has caused cyber security to invade to the security process. Ransomware attacks states about the hacking into using of user’s data along with prevention of the same from the accessing of the same until the ransom amount has been paid. The ransomware attacks have been critical for the users and that causes accessing data that helps into running daily operations. The attackers do not release data after the payment has been made and it also causes extortion of money. As opined by Lezzi et al. (2018), IoT attacks are also common to the UK companies and that results compromise to user data and sensitive animals. The safeguarding of IoT devices fromhas been rising the unprecedented loss and that results in difficulty to transmission of data over the network. The IoT devices are attacked those results to sensitive user data and compromising of IoT devices include laptops, mobile phones, smart security devices and desktops.
Sarker et al. (2020) had stated that cloud attacks utilize the cloud services required for professional and personal needs. Hacking is required for stealing the user data as the challenge to cyber security to the businesses. The attack has been carried-out to the enterprisal data and that pose massive threats to the organization and it also leads to massive collapse of the same. The attack has been carried-out on the enterprisal data and that helps posing massive threats to the company and that leads to collapse. As mentioned by Newhouse et al. (2017), phishing attack is the type of social engineering attack, which has been utilized for stealing user data and that includes gaining The Blockchain as well as cryptocurrency attack means accompanying the technologies with ensuring no gap that is left open to the intruders for invasion and exploiting.
As opined by Lu and Da Xu (2018), software vulnerabilities pose challenges and that will update software with providing certain numbers of vulnerabilities those are fixed by the developers. Moreover, Machine Learning, as well as AI attacks, are proved beneficial to massive development in diverse sectors making it more vulnerable. The technologies are not to be exploited by unlawful individuals’ for carrying-out the cyberattacks as well as posing the threats for the business. Sophisticated attacks are proven for handling lacking of cyber security expertise to the country as well. Crumpler and Lewis (2019) had stated that BYOD policies are vulnerabilities those find it too hard for accessing the business data. With letting go the BYOD policies, it causes enormous challenges to the network comprising. Outdated hardware is another security vulnerability that will cause realizing the software vulnerability to the risks. New updates are compatible and use of outdated hardware those are not compatible to the device hardware system (Corallo et al. 2020).
The cybersecurity controls are stated as the organizational processes for protecting the networking vulnerabilities as well as data hacks. As opined by Graham (2021),controlling within the organizations utilize detecting as well as manging threats and vulnerabilities to the networking of data. The evolving of threats and vulnerabilities are present in the market and controls are used for reducing the overall exposure to the threats. The cybersecurity controls are the physical techniques of protection for accessing data storing and also monitoring the physical data with protection of online data. The most effective and efficient cybersecurity controls are as follows:
- People: The correct cybersecurity team works together towards the common goal for establishing the cybersecurity controlling within the company. The team with helps defining roles and that helps in preparing the unexpected threats to the networks without hitting hard to the business operations. The cybersecurity controls inclusion of gaining exclusive from the companies (Graham, 2021). Customizable reports are presented for reflecting the performances of the programs and that helps enabling the security team for successfully presenting to the company leaders.
- Technology: The correct amount of technology comprises of automated tools as well as technologies that helps enabling the team for protecting the network. It helps in exponentially rising the surface of attacks. It helps in continuous monitoring, enabling of vendor accessing and attacking of surface analytics (Graham, 2021). With continuous monitoring, it helps utilizing continuous technology of monitoring that helps in providing consistent visibility and that helps providing awareness to new treats within the attack surface. It also helps in protection the organization. It helps in enabling the access to vendors and that helps managing risks from the vendors in the successful way. It also helps in better protecting of the network and the 3rd parties also work together with similar knowledge as well as understanding about the network threats (Graham, 2021). The attack surface analytics help providing deep look into the network risks and that helps showing the spots of vulnerability. It also helps in controlling the cybersecurity aspects and that helps promoting actions towards the remediation as well. To know more take assistance from experts of SourceEssay.
- Data: The cybersecurity control is quite important when it comes to defending the threats of cybersecurity. The building out of correct team, which works cohesively helps engaging the technology and tools (Graham, 2021). It also helps in accurate identification of the risks to cybersecurity aspects. Big Sight data is verified for corelating to the likelihood of the organization that helps in experiencing the data breaching. It helps the patrons to trust on the business rating and that accurately reflects the risks. It also helps in protecting the network and that leads to money and time.
Legal Framework In Tackling The Cyber Security Issues In The UK
The UK Parliament had been promoting cybersecurity and the offences and that seeking for raising awareness’s as well as enhancing cybersecurity safeguards against the cyberattacks. As opined in Lexology (2019), in 2016, 5-year “National Cyber Security Strategy” had been depicted that comprises of 3 core pillars for defending as well as deterring the cyberattacks along with development of cyber defence. Article 5 of GDPR helps stipulating personal data and that is done based on 7 principles: it has to be lawfully processed with improved fairness and transparency. It also has to be processed for providing explicit, legitimate and specified purposes and it has to be accurate and updated for the purpose of accuracy. According to the opinion stated in IRAISER NEWS (2021), it also needs to be processed with providing limited storage and also controlling data required for demonstrating compliances with the principles those are being related to the processing of personal data. It also helps ensuring provision of security and also includes protecting against unlawful and unauthorized processes as well as from the accidental losses. It also helps in maintaining integrity as well as confidentiality and also helps protecting against accidental loss. Cybersecurity regulations, policies and laws impact all the organizational processing and businesses for data controlling (Lexology, 2019). To know more about cybersecurity regulations, takefrom SourceEssay today
The comprehensive cybersecurity laws and legal framework required for cybersecurity framework that comprises of diverse laws are as follows:
- Data Protection Act, 2018: This law is applied as per “EU General Data Protection Regulation” that is retained as per the EU law in the UK. According to the law, it sets-out protection of data requirements that is required for both national security as well as data immigration as per the domestic law (ICLG, 2020).
- Official Secrets Act 1989: As per this law, it applies respecting the servants of UK government contractors as well as creating offences for disclosing certain information and that will be damaging the interests of the UK companies accordingly (ICLG., 2020).
- The Computer Misuse Act 1990: This law is applied that helps setting-out of the diverse cybercrime offences and that is prosecuted that is in conjunction to diverse offences those are considered under Fraud Act 2006 and Theft Act 1968 (ICLG., 2020).
- The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000: As per this law, it helps governing investigative powers those are done as per the law enforcement like interception and surveillance of the communication data. RIPA facilitates replacement by “Investigatory Powers Act 2016”, which is the operative provision of the things those are yet not in the force (ICLG., 2020).
- The Network and Information Systems Regulations 2018: This law is applied to the “EU Network and Information Systems Directive” that imposes obligations on the operators pertinent to use of essential services along with pertinent digital service providers. It also operating services that is deemed critically with the society and economy. NIS Regulations require both RDSPs as well as OES those have been providing good amount of security systems for preventing data holding and also compromising as well as reporting the incidents to the competent authority (ICLG, 2020). As per the NIS Regulations, it requires RDSPs and OES for providing security systems for preventing data for holding the services as well as reporting incidents for the competent authority. To know more about NIS regulation, take from SourceEssay today.
- Communication Act 2003: As per this law, it includes the obligations of cybersecurity aspects those are applied to the telecommunications sector as well as applied to the public electronic network service and communication providing organizations followed by public electronic service provider of communication (ICLG. 2020).
- Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003: This law is applied to the companies, which helps including obligations of security for respecting the personal data those applies to the public electronic service providers of communication (ICLG. 2020).
Recommendations To Cyber Security Apart From Cyber-Security Policies And Laws
The diverse recommendations to cyber security apart from cyber-security laws and policies are as follows:
- Devoting Annual IT Budget to System Security: It helps ensuring provision of appropriate resources and the security has been the relevant resources, which is an investment. It is quite inexpensive as compared to the breaching cost.
- Investing Time for Staff Training: It has the aim for organizing the workshop, which has been providing reviewing the knowledge with sharing the updates threats with best practices as well as procedures for following identification of the threats. Training of the employees are required for enhancing the staff-training aspect and that helps in improving the staff-members growth in knowledge.
- Controlling, Monitoring and Updating Accessing to Data: It helps ensuring the individual for personal login as well as not sharing of information and data with others. It also includes the employees that has diverse 3rd parties and collaborators and the consultants that helps restricting the accesses and deactivating the same. The passwords are updated and that helps someone losing the electronic devices along with use of password. The actions as well as damages done are identified pertinent to ill-intentioned users and 3rd party hackers.
- Setting Password Policy: The setting-up the strong password policies and use of multi-factor authentication. The strong passwords are to be used along with using of encrypted passwords as well. Moreover, passwords should be frequently updated and upgraded and that helps supporting guarantee. It also integrated anti-malware and anti-virus on the computer and laptops of the employees.
- Using VPN: The VPN (Virtual Private Network) helps ensuring connection outside and inside for the offices through encryption, securing and hiding the information. The IP address can also be used via VPN, which will reduce the attacks and vulnerabilities to some extent. It also helps appropriate coverages for ensuring the support as per the requirement. In order to make networking assignments, you can also take from SourceEssay experts.
The research aims to discuss cybersecurity in the UK with discussion of the threats and laws for tackling the issues related to it. The cyber security threats and issues those are related to the UK companies are ransomware attacks, IoT attacks, outdated software and hardware, Phishing attacks, cloud attacks, crypto current and Blockchain attacks, Machine Learning with AI attacks, BYOD policies, and Insider attacks. The cybersecurity controls are stated as the organizational processes for protecting the networking vulnerabilities as well as data hacks and effective and efficient cybersecurity controls are People, Data and Technology. It is mentioned that comprehensive cybersecurity laws and legal framework required for cybersecurity framework are Data Protection Act, 2018, Official Secrets Act 1989, The Computer Misuse Act 1990, The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, The Network and Information Systems Regulations 2018, Communication Act 2003, Privacy and Electronic and Communications Regulations 2003. It is also mentioned about the diverse recommendations to cyber security apart from cyber-security laws and policies are devoting annual IT budget to system security, investing time for staff training, controlling, monitoring and updating accessing to data, setting password policy and using VPN.
ICLG.com, 2020, England & Wales: Cybersecurity Laws and Regulations 2021, Retrieved from https://iclg.com/practice-areas/cybersecurity-laws-and-regulations/england-and-wales
Lexology, 2019, BCL Solicitors LLP, Cybersecurity in the United Kingdom, Retrieved from https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=91470b11-ef0b-4b6d-828b-2fe5a9dd1add
Swinhoe, D. 2020, UK cybersecurity statistics you need to know, Retrieved from https://www.csoonline.com/article/3440069/uk-cybersecurity-statistics-you-need-to-know.html
StoryWorks, 2020, Future Proof, Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/storyworks/chubb-future-proof/the-importance-of-cybersecurity-in-business
Graham, K. 2021, Cybersecurity Controls Every Organization Needs in 2021, Retrieved from https://www.bitsight.com/blog/cybersecurity-controls-types
IRAISER NEWS, 2021, Cyber Security: Best Practices To Protect Your Organization, Retrieved from
Graham, K. 2021, Cybersecurity Controls Every Organization Needs in 2021, Retrieved from
Upadhay, I. 2020, Top 10 Challenges of Cyber Security Faced in 2021, Retrieved from
Sarker, I.H., Kayes, A.S.M., Badsha, S., Alqahtani, H., Watters, P. and Ng, A., 2020. Cybersecurity data science: an overview from machine learning perspective. Journal of Big data, 7(1), pp.1-29.
Newhouse, W., Keith, S., Scribner, B. and Witte, G., 2017. National initiative for cybersecurity education (NICE) cybersecurity workforce framework. NIST special publication, 800(2017), p.181.
Lu, Y. and Da Xu, L., 2018. Internet of Things (IoT) cybersecurity research: A review of current research topics. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 6(2), pp.2103-2115.
Crumpler, W. and Lewis, J.A., 2019. The cybersecurity workforce gap. Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).